Dog Trainer & Separation Anxiety Specialist
With 10+ years of experience, Sharon understands how heart-wrenching it can be to love a dog with separation anxiety.
Helping you get your life back is my mission.
Sharon works tirelessly to ensure you and your dog have the best support and training experience possible. She is not your average dog trainer. Sharon knows that every dog and every family is different. The innovative Home Alone & Happy program is not your average cookie-cutter approach. Sharon is with you every step of the way to tailor the program to your unique circumstances. This means a professional approach to her work, including a dedication to continuing education—an essential distinction in an unregulated industry where anyone can proclaim themselves a dog trainer without specialized education, knowledge, or experience.
I am proud to be accredited with AnimalKind through the BC SPCA. AnimalKind Accreditation is a rigorous process that ensures that you, as a dog owner, can be assured that Hanging With Hounds will uphold the highest standards in dog training and animal welfare.
Meet Pippa, Frankie & Lulu
After working as the Behaviour Coordinator for the Cochrane and Area Humane Society, Sharon opened Hanging With Hounds to keep dogs out of shelters by keeping them in their homes through positive puppy and dog training. Sharon has shared her life with many dogs, both her own and fosters. She specialized in rehabilitating fearful dogs to increase their adoptability and success in their new homes in her foster work.
Sharon currently lives with two Golden Retrievers named Pippa (12 yo) and Frankie (3 yo) and a rescue pup called Lulu (~5 yo).
Humane, gentle, positive reinforcement
Advancements in modern behavioural science and training allow educated dog trainers to teach new behaviours and stop unwanted ones with humane, gentle, positive reinforcement-based training.
Leaving old-fashioned training behind means no more choke, prong, or shock collars. No more use of pain, fear, or intimidation to punish “wrong answers.” No more training anxiety for dogs or training guilt for trainers and dog guardians.
Believing that the focus of training should be building a great relationship with our dogs, our training is done with kindness.
Not only do we get great results, but dogs also enjoy the training process, and so do we humans!
”I have known Sharon on a professional basis for 19 years. She has been an excellent veterinary client, maintaining the health of her dogs to the highest degree possible. I do not hesitate in referring clients to Sharon who may need obedience training or individual training. Hanging With Hounds has been a valuable addition to our network of available resources for our pets.Dr. Brian McBrideCoach Hill Animal Hospital
Help dogs make the right choices.
While many dog trainers in our unregulated industry guarantee specific training results, this practice is considered unethical and grounds for dismissal from professional associations such as the APDT, IAABC, and PPG.
And for a good reason—how can one living organism guarantee the future behaviour of another? Dogs are living, breathing sentient beings…not a computer that can be rebooted or reprogrammed. Our job as responsible, ethical, educated dog trainers is to help dogs learn to make the right choices.
So while we do not guarantee specific outcomes, we do guarantee this:
- We will strive to provide you with the best possible training results
- We will constantly improve and expand our knowledge and skills and stay on top of all the latest scientific developments in the training field
- We will respect your time and financial commitment to training by showing up on time, responding to your phone calls and emails promptly, and following through on our obligations to you
- We will customize your training package to your goals for your dog
- We will use only positive methods when training your dog—and also when teaching you
”Sharon is amazing and is the first person I refer to when dogs have behavior issues. As a Veterinarian it is very important I refer my clients and patients to someone who is both knowledgeable and compassionate; Sharon holds both of these qualities. From puppies to older dogs with severe behavioral issues, Sharon has made a huge difference in the lives of many of my patients. I cannot say enough good things about her.Dr. Kaylan ElockDVM West Springs Veterinary Hospital
The separation anxiety program is easy to follow
Shayla & Tucker
"Sharon is such a joy to work with! Her separation anxiety training is easy to follow, and she's always there to provide support. She offers flexible training and makes adjustments based on your pet's progress and needs. She also helps you understand how progress ebbs and flows and encourages the celebration of successes! I would highly recommend Hanging With Hounds to anyone in need of Separation Anxiety support!"
Adaptive to her clients’ needs and unique circumstances
Chelsea, Danny & Bernie
"Sharon is wonderful. So supportive, caring, and adaptive to her clients’ needs and unique circumstances. The outcomes are also undeniable; we were taught so many techniques to deal with our dog’s particular challenges and we’re so grateful. Can’t recommend her enough!"
Always super responsive and helpful
Brianna & Ollie
"Sharon was great to work with! She was always super responsive and helpful. I needed some more help on separation anxiety training for my dog and she was definitely the right one to work with for it! She helped him get a solid foundation and helped him get up to a solid baseline for me to continue practicing with. Sharon was always a pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend her to others."
She was so patient with our questions
Vanessa, Terence & Olive
"We loved working with Sharon, she was so patient with our questions and was always happy to give advice where we needed it. Our puppy most definitely improved a lot working with Sharon. We worked with her on separation anxiety training and we appreciated how upfront she was from the start about how long a journey this could be. We would definitely rate her highly so please give her a chance if you are looking to work through separation anxiety with your dog. We have a long way to go but Sharon has given us clear goals and directions."
Amazing techniques to resolve separation anxiety
The Nolans & Ziggy
"This is our second time working with Sharon and we love the outcome with our Yorkie who is much braver now in being left alone. Sharon has amazing techniques for separation anxiety to make both you and your dog feel comfortable. I highly recommend her service."
We could literally see the progress we made over time
Lesley, Phil & Zipper
"I'm so glad we found Sharon to help us with our dog's separation anxiety. She was so easy to work with and far exceeded my expectations with respect to professionalism and organization. The methodology and tools she uses and shares are organized, well thought out, and add so much value to our training. We could literally see the progress we made over time. Sharon was also just generally so positive, encouraging, and helpful. Great force-free trainer, AnimalKind certified (among other credentials); would highly recommend!"
I am so happy with the results
Sheridan & Bridges
"This was the first program that worked for my rescue dog and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a dog with severe separation anxiety. The weekly structure was phenomenal in keeping me on track and the data from the sessions allowed us to really focus on key areas of development. I am so happy with the results!"
In the News
As a specialist in the field of separation anxiety, Sharon is often interviewed & sought after for her expertise.
Credentials to bark about:
In an unregulated industry where anyone can call themselves a dog trainer, Sharon stands out from the pack. Holding credentials from the leading education and credentialing schools, Sharon demonstrates that she has the education and experience to help you.
- AnimalKind Accredited dog trainer
- PCBC-A Professional Canine Behaviour Consultant (Accredited) (PPAB-PPG)
- ADT Accredited Dog Trainer through the International Association of Animal Behavior (IAABC)
- KPA-CTP Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner. KPA is widely considered one of the most rigorous training programs available to professional dog trainers.
- CSAT Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer through Malena DeMartini, the leading expert on separation anxiety behaviour modification
- SA Pro Trainer (SAPT)
- CPDT-KA Certified Professional Dog Trainer through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers.
- FFCP Fear Fear Certified Trainer
- CTDI Certified Trick Dog Instructor through Do More With Your Dog®
In addition, Sharon has attended a wide range of conferences, workshops, and seminars to study with prominent dog trainers and veterinary behaviour specialists including Dr. Susan Friedman, Michael Shikashio, Trish McMillian, Dr. Karen Overall, Suzanne Clothier, Dr. Robert Hewings, Niki Tudge, Debbie Jacobs, Sue Sternberg, Nicole Wilde, Dr. Chris Pachel, Dr. E’Lise Christensen, Dr. Amber Batson, Dr. Kathy Murphy, Kim Brophey and others.
Sharon is studying in the Jean Donaldson’s Academy of Dog Trainers program (the ‘Harvard’ for dog trainers), a deep dive into complex canine behaviour issues. For a complete listing of Sharon’s Continuing Professional Development, please see below.
Sharon is passionate about the canine behaviour field and is a self-confessed behaviour geek. She continues to invest heavily in professional development to feed her deepening understanding of the complex field of canine behaviour.
- L.E.G.S. Applied Ethology Family Dog Mediation – Kim Brophey
- Dog Behaviour Conference – Victoria Stillwell (Apr 2022)
- IAABC Annual Conference (Feb 2022)
- Introduction to Neuroscience for the Sport Dog – Dr. Kathy Murphy (Jun 2022)
- Game Changer Medications: Trazadone, Gabapentin, Clonidine & Benzodiazepines – Dr. E’lise Christensen (May 2022)
- The Long Game Meds: Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Clomipramine & Paroxetine – Dr. E’lise Christensen (Jun 2022)
- Brain & Behaviour through the life stages – Dr. Kathy Murphy (Apr/May 2022)
- Separation Anxiety – Malena DeMartini (Apr 2022)
- Biome, Brain & Behavior: The gut microbiome-behaviour relationship – Dr. Kathy Murphy (Mar 2022)
- Pain Rewires the Brain: Aggression, Arousal, Anxiety & Reactivity – Dr. Kathy Murphy (Jun 2022)
- Resilence in Dogs: Why it is important and how do we build it? – Behavior Vets – (Aug 2022)
- Separation Anxiety: Complex Cases – Dr. Moira Hechenleitner (Jun 2022)
- Pet Professional Guild – Geek Week (5-day conference on animal behaviour)
- Aggression in Dogs Conference 2021
- SAPro Certification (Jul 2021)
- Dog Behaviour Conference – Victoria Stillwell (April 2021)
- IAABC Annual Conference (May 2021)
- Reactive to Relaxed – Leslie McDevitt
- Solving Canine Behaviour Problems – Puppyworks
- Clicker Expo – Karen Pryor Academy (3-days)
- Aggression in Dogs Master Certification (Michael Shikashio)
- Fear Free Certified Trainer
- IAABC Annual Conference (4 days)
- Aggression in Dogs Conference (2 days)
- PPG Annual Conference (5 days)
- Fear in Dogs (2 days)
- Resource Guarding (1 day)
- The Academy of Dog Trainers Professional Program – 2-year deep dive into canine behaviour
- Clicker Expo – Karen Pryor Academy (3-days)
- PPG Annual Conference (Dog Aggression & Bites) (3-days) – April 2019
- Practical Puppy Instructors Course (7-day) – Chirag Patel – May 2019
- Animal Behaviour Symposium – BC SPCA – June 2019
- Dr. Karen Overall – Canine Behaviour – April 2019
- IAABC Mentorship – Writing (8-week) – Eileen Anderson
- IAABC Mentorship – Human/Animal Behaviour Consulting (8-week) – Michael Baugh
- IAABC – Virtual Behaviour Consultations (3-week) – Katenna Jones
- Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer (CSAT) – Malena Di Martini
- Canine Behavioural Medication – Dr. Karen Overall
- How to Successfully Modify Problem Behaviour in Shelter Dogs – Julie Naismith and Kelly Lee
- Working with Dog Aggression – Michael Shikashio and Trish McMillian
- Let’s Coach Scent Work – Dr. Robert Hewings (PPG)
- Walk This Way – Niki Tudge/Louise Stapleton-Frappell (PPG)
- Fenzi Dog Sports Academy:
- Advanced Recall I & II – Donna Hill
- Management for Reactive Dogs – Dr. Amy Cook
- Effective Behaviour Change – Sarah Stremming
- The Science of Training – Dr. Amy Cook
- Knock Knock – From Chaos to Calm – Nancy Tucker
- Cooperative Canine Care – Deborah Jones
- Precision Heeling – Denise Fenzi
- Helping Fearful Reactive and Stressed Dogs – Dr. Amy Cook
- Sound Advice – Conquering Noise Sensitivity – Dr. Amy Cook
- Normal or Not: Common Behavioural Disorders – Dr. Jessica Hekman DVM
- The Melting Pot: Genes, environment, personality Dr. Jennifer Summerfield DVM
- Achieving a Balance Between Motivation and Control – Deborah Jones
- Stir Crazy: Games for Small Places – Donna Hill
- Focus Games – Deborah Jones
- Epigenetics and Puppies – Dr. Lynn Honeckman DVM
- It’s Mine – Jean Donaldson
- Noise Phobias – Dr. Lore Haug DVM
- Basic Behavioural Neuroanatomy – Dr. Lore Haug DVM
- Introduction to Neurobiology I – Dr. Lore Haug DVM
- Introduction to Neurobiology II – Dr. Lore Haug DVM
- Certified Trick Training Instructor – Kyra Sundance
- Karen Pryor Professional Program (KPA-CTP)
- Living and Learning From Animals – Dr. Susan Friedman
- Puppy Start Right – Karen Pryor Academy
2016 and before
- APDT Conference
- What’s the Problem – Suzanne Clothier
- Fearful Dogs & Separation Anxiety – Nicole Wilde
- Worked Up – Sarah Stremming
- IAABC Beginning Behaviour Consulting – Sarah Filipiak
- Equinology – Canine Myofascial Release
- Equinology – Certification in Canine Bodywork
Let's Keep in Touch
Sign up for our newsletter to receive free tips and strategies to help dogs with separation anxiety.
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
Hanging With Hounds is proud to be accredited by the BC SPCA as an AnimalKind trainer. To maintain this certification, the BC SPCA audits Hanging With Hounds regularly to ensure that we uphold the highest standard of care in dog training and animal welfare.
As a Dog*Biz Thrive! Member, Hanging With Hounds…
- Is dedicated to ethical business practices
- Puts welfare first
- Is committed to ongoing learning
- Values collaboration
- Understands the power of community
- Has access to global expertise
As an accredited trainer, Sharon can guarantee only science-based, force-free training methods are used with your dog, and you can be assured she will be open and transparent in her business practices with you.
Hanging With Hounds adheres to the practice of not causing fear, anxiety or stress in any animal. We believe that training, veterinary, and grooming practices should be and can be a positive and rewarding experience for our pets, and for us for that matter.
”My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.